This is a 3 mile (5km) walk starting from Washington Wetland Centre
The route offers great views of the River Wear, Penshaw Monument and the surrounding countryside as well as covering a number of interesting historical features and locations, including:
Low Barmston Farm
This was built in 1840 as a wedding gift for the eldest daughter of John Lambton, the 1st Earl of Durham. Penshaw Monument dominates the skyline above the River Wear to the south west.
From the mid to late 19th century a quarry operated from the site of Woodhouse Farm. sandstone from the quarry was taken to barges on the river to be transported to Sunderland and the river mouth for building purposes.
Manor House Farm
Blessed with rich clay deposits Sunderland developed a thriving pottery industry, particularly in the early 19th century. This site dates from an earlier period and was the home of the North Hylton Pot Works which was founded by William Maling in 1762. The products of the Maling Pottery span 200 years and were exported world-wide.
High Wood rests on the north bank of a large loop in the River Wear. It is ancient woodland consisting of hawthorn, oak, beech and ash. It is home to a rich variety of bird life including great spotted woodpecker, bullfinch and sparrowhawk. Fungi and woodland flowers thrive here and hidden glades and ponds offer a chance to glimpse dragonflies and butterflies.
For more details, including a map and full route information, download the leaflet below.