Hylton Castle is a distinctive and highly decorative gatehouse-tower of a castle. The castle was built by the wealthy Sir William Hylton, shortly before 1400. Originally containing four floors of family accommodation, its entrance front displays royal and family heraldry, including Richard II's white hart badge.
The castle is the second oldest building in Sunderland and is situated in its own grounds alongside St Catherine's Chapel and like most ancient buildings Hylton Castle also has its own ghost - the Cauld Lad. Download a factsheet.
This historic site has recently been given a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) award to bring the 14th century Hylton Castle back into community use. To find out more or get involved as a volunteer when the Castle re opens at the end of the year click http://hyltoncastle.org.uk/ alternatively email Sophie.email@example.com